Summer is here, and it is the time to complete the cleaning and perform the repairs you couldn’t finish during spring.
When you do, don’t forget to include your fireplace and chimney. These two tend to get overlooked, perhaps because they’re rarely used when the weather is warmer. But you must perform maintenance before it gets cold again.
To avoid issues during winter, it’s best to clean, inspect, and repair your chimney and fireplace during summer. Here, your trusted masonry company in Toronto shares all that you need to understand about this:
Winter Damages to Your Chimney
You may not realize it, but your chimney takes a beating during the winter. Here are some ways it can be damaged:
- Water can seep into the chimney and freeze, expanding and cracking the masonry.
- The freeze/thaw cycle can loosen mortar and bricks.
- Chimney caps can become iced over and can’t do their job of keeping the rain and snow out. This can ultimately result in water seeping into the chimney and damaging the interior.
- The high winter winds can cause the chimney to sway and loosen mortar and bricks.
- The heat from the chimney can cause the metal flashing around the top to corrode.
If you’re noticing any of these issues, it is time to call a chimney specialist. They can accurately assess the damage and recommend the best course of action.
Why You Need to Do Masonry Repairs During Warmer Seasons
If you are from an area with harsh cold winters, masonry work can be difficult to do during the colder months. The freezing temperatures can make it harder, if not impossible, to mix mortar, and the snow and ice can make it dangerous to work on scaffolding. For these reasons, it makes sense to do masonry repairs during the warmer months.
Masonry work is best when temperatures are between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because mortar needs to be able to set correctly, and the colder temperatures can make it difficult for the mortar to set. In addition, working in cold weather can be difficult and dangerous.
If you have masonry repairs that need to be done, it’s important to schedule them for the warmer months. This will ensure that all the repairs are done the right way and that you don’t have to deal with the difficulties of working in cold weather.
Avoid Additional Expenses By Checking Your Chimney and Fireplace During the Warmer Months
As the weather gets a little warmer, it’s necessary to take some time to check your chimney and fireplace. By doing this, you can prevent any additional expenses that may come up later on.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Inspect the outside of your chimney for any cracks or damage. If you see any, repair them as soon as possible.
- Make sure the inside of your chimney is clean. If it’s not, hire a professional to clean it for you.
- If you have a gas fireplace, have it serviced by a professional annually.
It’s important not to delay fireplace and chimney repairs. Taking advantage of the warm weather now will prevent any future issues from occurring and cost more money down the line. Be sure to hire a reputable masonry company in Toronto to assess the damage and make the necessary repairs.
Red Robin Masonry offers masonry services in Toronto, including fireplace and chimney repairs. Contact us today to get a quote for your project!