Brick is one of the most popular materials used for property exterior today. It is well-known for its timeless beauty, durability, and longevity. There are a lot of benefits you can get from using brick for your exterior, and in this post, we will discuss them.
- Aesthetic Appeal
An obvious benefit of using brick for homes is that they make properties look more beautiful. In turn, it helps increase the property value, which is a significant selling point.
- Eco-Friendliness and Increase in Home Value
Bricks are made from clay, which is a natural resource that makes them eco-friendly. Trust that bricks won’t be affected by moisture as they can absorb and release water naturally. Moreover, brick is fire-resistant, weather-resistant, and termite-resistant. All of these features can help decrease homeowner insurance rates.
- Variety of Choices
They come in various colours, from white to black, and you can even have multicoloured bricks. You can also choose the texture of the brick face—rough, smooth, or somewhere in between. Furthermore, you can customize the look even more by choosing from various mortar colours.
- Durability and Functionality
Bricks are also popular for their durability, and that’s because they don’t break or dent. They are also a powerful insulator that keeps temperatures regulated within the property. You can also expect it to help reduce sound transmission.
Brick exterior requires little maintenance that it only needs occasional washing. You also don’t need to worry about decay or repainting.
- Worth the Price
When it comes to its price, it is true that it can be pricey, but it’s going to be worth it!
How About Brick Maintenance?
As mentioned, brick is low-maintenance, which is also why it’s preferred by many. Here are some easy ways you can maintain your brick siding:
- Spray the surface with a garden hose. Remember, pressure-washing your brick siding isn’t recommended because the intense water pressure can cause damage to older brick surfaces and joints.
- Remove chalk-like stains (efflorescence) with white vinegar. Spray it on the stains, wait 10-15 minutes, and rinse with plain water.
- Make sure your home’s foundation is strong. If you have an older home and have foundation issues, movement can cause stress to the brick walls. In turn, this will result in cracks and mortar joints. You can reduce the risk of movement by installing guttering and downspouts that will direct water away and keep it from pooling around the foundation.
- Old bricks must be repointed when necessary. After a few decades, the joints can crumble, and to address the issue, you can have the bricks repointed. Brick repointing involves removing a portion of old mortar and refilling the joints with fresh mortar.
Having bricks for your home’s exterior is one of the best decisions you can ever make. With all of these benefits, you can guarantee that using brick material is an excellent investment that will keep your home protected, at the same time, increase its value. Therefore, if you’re trying to decide which siding material to use for your home, consider brick. Although it’s a bit pricier, it’s going to be worth it. After all, everybody loves seeing brick properties!
If you need brick repair services in Toronto, we can help you here at Red Robin Masonry. Our top priority is to bring you the quality and service you deserve. Get a quote today.