In the construction process, parging is a vital process that is meant to coat the exterior walls of a foundation using protective cement. With this in place, your foundation will not only benefit from a protective coat of mortar, but it will also achieve an aesthetically-pleasing finish.
However, as time goes by, this mortar mix may become subject to wear and tear as your property gets older. As a result, you are more likely to see some cracks and other visible damage, causing the finish to gradually come off. For this reason, a parging repair is necessary, which doesn’t only apply to newly built homes but also existing ones.
In this article, we will share our guide to parging repair for your property’s exterior walls and how it can be done with professional parging services in Toronto.
What parging repair entails
As discussed above, parging refers to the motor mixture applied to your property’s outside walls for protection and aesthetics. This makes walls not easily prone to damages brought by the outdoor elements. In fact, it creates protective layers on the walls to ensure they last longer. On the other hand, a parging repair is exactly what it sounds like. As your parged walls get damaged over time, you need to have them fixed to restore their beauty and overall functionality.
Why parging repair is necessary
Despite the protection that parging provides, remember that these exterior walls aren’t designed to last forever. The time will come when they have some damages, especially if your property is already old. If left unattended, the impact might extend to the house floors and compromise your property’s structural integrity. This is mainly because it’s inevitable for water leaks to accumulate on worn-out walls, wooden floors, and other parts of the house. For this reason, getting a parging repair is imperative to ensure your exterior walls are in top shape and working condition.
Our parging repair guide
If you want to take on a parging repair, follow our simple and practical steps below:
How to get started
- Get rid of the damaged parging using a cold chisel and a mallet, which will only take about an hour or so. Do not apply a new layer of parging on top of an old layer.
- Buy cement and sand in advance and store these materials in a dry and cool place for future mixture and application. Also, set aside all the tools you may need for parging.
How to chisel away
- Use the chisel and mallet to get rid of cracked mortar from the walls of the foundation.
- Scrub the walls using a brush with metallic bristles to remove dust and debris.
- Mix sand and cement in the correct ratio (one part of cement mixed with two parts of sand).
- Add a waterproof powder into the mortar mixture to prevent water from being absorbed into the walls.
- Once the mortar has been mixed well with a spade, use a trowel to spread it on the foundation walls.
At this point, you now have a bigger idea of what parging repair entails and how to perform it. To that end, be sure to follow the key steps outlined above to ensure that your exterior walls are completely protected, visually appealing, and will last for as long as possible! Ultimately, relying on expert workmanship is best because they have the experience and equipment to perform the job professionally and efficiently!
Are you looking for parging services such as repair for your exterior walls? You’ve come to the right place, as we’re a leading masonry company in Toronto. If you’re looking for top-notch masonry services, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!